Tuesday 31 January 2012

Customer service!

How many times have you walked into a shop and you've had to wait for the assistants to finish their personal conversation before you get served?
Is there a shop that you avoid going in because the staff are clearly disinterested or just plain rude?

I just think the whole bad customer service issue is wrapped up with manners. Plain, simple manners. That's all - it's not rocket science! It's not about wanting your customer to enjoy the experience of shopping with you, it's just about good old fashioned manners.

Now don't get me wrong - I want to provide good customer service because I know that it leads to referrals and more work for my business but shouldn't it just come naturally? Shouldn't we all have a sense of niceness instilled within us that we shouldn't have to be taught about good customer service we should just give it as a matter of course.

Which leads me on to an even bigger topic. Wait for it my friends - respect! So do you think that if you're respectful then with that comes manners and with that comes good customer service?
Respect doesn't come with age or experience or money. It is something you earn. It's not an automatic entitlement and I think that there are some people that need to learn this as a valuable lesson. As my old boss many years ago used to say "Behaviour breeds behaviour" and by crikey she was right.

So I think what I'm saying is that if we all learned to be a bit more respectful of one another then good customer service would come naturally.

What do you think? I'd love to know your thoughts on this. Am I ranting about a non issue or do you genuinely feel that the world is lacking a bit of respect/manners/customer service?

As you ponder on this I'm off to sort out Party Boxes, a job that I love very very much and I always aim to give the best customer service possible!!! I look forward to hearing from you and if you want to celebrate respect and customer service then you know where you will get a fantastic party box!!

Keep smiling my friends

Max
x

1 comment:

  1. For sure good customer service is key but I really hate it when it's scripted. You know the kind of thing. "Do you need any help?" spoken without any conviction and coupled with a fake plastered on smile where the member of staff is doing it because they've been told to.

    And then you get a glimpse of great service. I was in a big named department store trying on some clothes today. The staff in the changing rooms were brilliant. Polite, friendly and told me to call if I needed anything. I enjoyed the experience and I believed they genuinely wanted to help me. You're right. There's not enough good customer service out there. So when I see it I really appreciate it and I'd go back for more. My take on it. Make a customer, not a sale. It's more sustainable for your business in the long run because customers will spread the word and come back to you.

    ReplyDelete

Hello

Welcome to Life's A Celebration's Blog. We box up all kinds of parties for all kinds of celebrations. Pop across and see us at www.lifesacelebration.co.uk